What is meant by bilateral basal exaggerated lung markings and prominent aortic knuckle?

Pulmonologist
Question
What does mean bilateral basal exaggerated lung markings
I had make a Chest x-ray and that was the result. I wanted to know what does it mean??
And
Prominent aortic knuckle ?? Is it something wrong??
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 39 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Bilateral exaggerated lung markings are sometimes normal findings. However they may be found in conditions like acute bronchitis, Congestive cardiac failure etc. It all depends on your symptoms.

2. If you do not have any major symptoms then it should not bother you much however if you do have chest complaints then a HRCT scan thorax may be required as a part of further evaluation.

3. Prominent aortic knuckle is probably due to long standing systemic hypertension as mentioned in your medical history.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: What is meant by bilateral basal exaggerated lung markings and prominent aortic knuckle? 48 minutes later
Thank you for your answer.
1-what is : HRCT scan thorax
2- I have some chest complain
I have sometimes hurt in my chest , I am taking lobelia mother tincture every day , of I don't take for some days , I begin to cough very dry and hard and my branches hurt me ( like burning)
I use to have allergic asthma
But now I am better, I was treated by homeopathic remedies.
With this information
What do you think I have?

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 16 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.
After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. HRCT Thorax: High resolution computed tomography scan of the thorax (chest). It is an advanced imaging modality of the chest.

2. Such prominent lung markings are common in asthmatics. However I would recommend that you get yourself clinically evaluated with a Pulmonologist. Investigations that are required are spirometry, blood investigations and considering your past history of breast cancer and asthma, a HRCT scan of thorax would be required.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB