What is meant by abnormal red bone marrow cells in tibia and femur?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What does it mean if your mri states you have abnormal red bone marrow cells in your tibia and femur . I came home and had right knee pain no known injury some swelling The MRI does show a joint effusion and fluid in joint and around knee this swelling or fluid gets worse when I stand on it for too long. The pain is like a constant ache and gets more painful at night after I have been moving around all day. The orthopedist says he needed to know why the red bone marrow cells were there before he would try a cortisone injection . So what could the red bone marrow cells mean?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
The findings of your MRI are suggestive of bone marrow edema of knee. As the bone marrow degenerates over time, in some cases edema it is the first indicator of progressing osteoarthritis, a degenerative type of arthritis that gets worse over time.
It is self-limiting within six to 12 months, meaning that the symptoms will dissipate and spontaneously disappear within that time frame. The treatment is usually done with cortisone injections are not required.
In severe cases, surgery may be considered to bring relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.