What is life expectancy for having two leaky heart valves and has shortness of breath?

Cardiologist
Question
My father has two leaky heart valves and was just told he is not a candidate for surgery. What is his life expectancy at 74? He really has shortness of breath often
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Valvular Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read your query and understood your concern. The calculation of life expectancy at every age is based on the socio-economical status and medical data. Based on your medical history (Previous aortic valve replacement, deep vein thrombosis of the legs, renal transplantation, and sickle cell anemia) and your current disease (two leaky heart valve with signs of heart failure) the life expectancy is very poor. The most optimistic prediction is an overall life expectancy of two years (between 6 month to 2 years). However this is a prediction value based on statistical data and should be used with care. Please bear in mind that this is only a statistical value and sometimes the human body is stronger that any statistical data. Hope I answered to your query! Dr. Benard Shehu

Follow-up: What is life expectancy for having two leaky heart valves and has shortness of breath? 3 hours later
Thank you. I just received further information - their is a minor leak of the aortic valve and severe mitral valve regurgitation. The dr said is not a candidate for surgery to correct the mitral valve. Does this information change your answer?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX The information you added (minor leak of the aortic valve and severe mitral valve regurgitation) could make the life expectancy of your father being raised a little bit (maximum of 3 years). Once again, I repeat that although statistics, the human body can react differently from a simple statistical data. The most important thing is to ease your father's suffering and keep him being followed up by a cardiologist. All the best to you and your father! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up! Dr.Benard