What is involved in the surgical procedure for dialysis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
What is involved in the surgical sprocedure to prepare for dialysis.....something about merging a vein and an artery? Sounds strange.

Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 51 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

To perform a planned dialysis creation of an Arterio Venous Fistula by surgical procedure is important.

In this procedure a connection is being created between an artery and a vein.

The procedure is usually done on a non dominant hand and usually between the radial artery and cephalic vein.

Usually the procedure is done by a vascular surgeon.

Once the fistula is created, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to mature or to establish a proper fistula which is suitable for performing dialysis.

During dialysis, two needles are inserted into the fistula one to draw blood and one to return blood from the machine.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: What is involved in the surgical procedure for dialysis? 6 minutes later
What does this fistula look like.....how big is it? Is it critical to keep clean? I am a farmer.

Will I feel rejuvenated after a dialysis treatment or exhausted?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

The fistula can look like enlarged blood vessels under the skin of forearm.

It wont look like a big swelling, but it looks like a mass of enlarged vessels under the skin.

It should be kept clean till the surgical wound of the skin get healed and a scar is formed to prevent the infection of wound.

And the fistula has to be examined at regular intervals to know its patency and function.

After dialysis you will feel better as the toxic, waste, and harmful substances are removed from your body through the dialysis procedure.

Regards.