What is idiopathic hyposomnia?

I would like to know what ideopathichyposomnia is. Could you please
explain i what this condition is for me. Thank you very much. T. Soroyan
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello Soroyan ,

Idiopathic means the cause of your problem is not known. Hyposomnia or Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that causes overwhelming and severe daytime sleepiness. Pathologic sleepiness is characterized by the fact that it occurs at inappropriate times and places. The daytime sleep attacks may occur with or without warning, and can occur repeatedly in a single day. Persons with narcolepsy often have fragmented nighttime sleep with frequent brief awakenings. Narcolepsy is a rare disorder characterized by chronic, excessive attacks of drowsiness during the day, sudden extreme muscle weakness (cataplexy), hallucinations, paralysis while sleeping, and disrupted sleep during the night.

You can take some general measures to help yourself like-
1. Maintain a regular sleep schedule, usually seven to eight hours of sleep per night.
2. Scheduled naps during the day also help. Optimal sleep pattern is a combination of scheduled nighttime sleep (such as from 11:00 pm to 7:30 am) and two 15-minute naps during the day.
3. Avoid heavy meals and alcohol (as it can interfere with sleep).
4. Driving should be restricted when you feel sleepy.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.