What is hypermature placenta and how soon i will have preterm?

Question
Hello Doc, I am 30 week pregnant and my scan today said I had hypermature placenta. I was advised for Doppler which said mild increase in umbilical artery flow resistance - early materno fetal flow compromise. The weight of the baby is apprx 1.5kgs. The doctor has prescribed 2 doses of Betnesol Injection with one today and the next tomorrow. I am now worried, if I will have a preterm labour and the baby's health if so as she is barely 1.5kgs now. I have an older son who is 4yrs old and he was a C sec. I am worried. Could you please explain what could be happening? Thanks for your reply. What is hypermature placenta? Also how soon do you think i will have to be preterm?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need specialized care in SICU or NICU. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. 1. Betnesol injections are given to help your baby's lungs to mature. This also reduces the risk of some early problems for your baby. 2. As you had the previous LSCS, Probably they have planned to do repeat Low segment C-Section. 3. Yes. Your baby will be premature and also low weight than other babies. Your baby may need specialised care, as he may have problems with breathing, feeding and infection. She or he is likely to be cared for in a SCBU ( Special care baby unit) or LNU( local neonatal unit). Your baby is also at risk of of hypothermia, low blood sugar and infection. If any one of these occur, then baby may need more specialised care at a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) Do not get worried, Your treating Gynecologist, Pediatrician and duty doctors will do their best to make sure that your baby is as comfortable as possible. Once your baby is stable, you can see him as often as you like. 1. What is hypermature placenta? Now you are 30 weeks pregnant, but your placenta is matured as it is to be in full term pregnancy ( ie. more than 37 weeks). Your have an early progression to a grade III placenta. This can be identified by ultrasound findings like significant basal calcification and chorionic plate interrupted by indentations. This may result in placental insufficiency leading to where the placenta cannot bring enough oxygen and nutrients to the growing fetus. As the baby cannot get enough from your side, you need to have LSCS ( as you have previous history of LSCS) to save your baby. 2. Also how soon do you think i will have to be preterm? You have to understand that steroid injections should be given who are at risk for preterm delivery between 24 and 34 weeks of pregnancy. Steroid injections are given to mature the babies lung and also to avoid other problems. These are effective if the baby is to be born from 2 days to 7 days of injection. Also babies born more than 48 hours, but less than seven days from the first dose of steroids, show the greatest benefit. The steroid treatment cuts the risk of lung disease in half and reduces a premature baby's risk of dying by up to 40 percent. Further you have the following risks hyper mature placenta, Previous LSCS and previous history of diabetes mellitus. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Early progression to Gr 3. Steroid injections Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. 1. What is hypermature placenta? Now you are 30 weeks pregnant, but your placenta is matured as it is to be in full term pregnancy ( ie. more than 37 weeks). Your have an early progression to a grade III placenta. This can be identified by ultrasound findings like significant basal calcification and chorionic plate interrupted by indentations. This may result in placental insufficiency leading to where the placenta cannot bring enough oxygen and nutrients to the growing fetus. As the baby cannot get enough from your side, you need to have LSCS ( as you have previous history of LSCS) to save your baby. 2. Also how soon do you think i will have to be preterm? You have to understand that steroid injections should be given who are at risk for preterm delivery between 24 and 34 weeks of pregnancy. Steroid injections are given to mature the babies lung and also to avoid other problems. These are effective if the baby is to be born from 2 days to 7 days of injection. Also babies born more than 48 hours, but less than seven days from the first dose of steroids, show the greatest benefit. The steroid treatment cuts the risk of lung disease in half and reduces a premature baby's risk of dying by up to 40 percent. Further you have the following risks hyper mature placenta, Previous LSCS and previous history of diabetes mellitus. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.