What is fifths disease?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My 2 year old has a rash, then developed a low grade fever, and now has swollen gums. We went to the doctor a few days ago when she just had the rash and he diagnosed fifths disease. Does that still sound like it fits now that the other symptoms have emerged?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes it still fits Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to health care magic. Fifth disease can cause rash and swollen gums too. If your doctor had diagnosed so based on the rash appearance and her clinical findings , still the diagnosis would be fifth disease. Without an opportunity to clinically examine the child, my point of view is entirely based on the described symptoms. As it is a viral illness, no antibiotics are needed. Acetaminophen should help in relieving fever if present. Let her drink plenty of fluids. Wishing speedy recovery. Dr Arun