What is cortico-cerebral atrophy and white matter ischemic foci as found in brain MRI?

i what to know that cortico cerebral atrophy and white matter ischemic foci which is found in my father
mri brain report
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 52 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Corticocerebral atrophy is an age related change in the brain where the cortex-grey matter degenerates with age. The rate of degeneration is genetically determined and it affects the cognitive functions and memory of the patient.
White matter ischemic foci indicate slow stuttering course of local infarcts which occur in due course of time and accumulate.They are mostly caused by prolonged hypertension and diabetes.
In the first case you can hardly do anything, in the latter you can control the BP and the Blood sugar levels and anti-platelet drugs like aspirin/clopidogrel etc. also help in long run.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!