What is comparitive difference of percocet and vicodin?

Was looking for primary difference and comparative of percocet 512 and vicodin 10 (m367- 10/325) Have heard many suggestions of percocet or oxycodone being 1 &1/2 times hydrocodone and many other. Looking for comparative strength/difference
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Percocet stronger than vicodin

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand you need to know which of these drug combinations are stronger and would be more effective in treating severe pain. Well this is a good question as percocet (a combination of paracetamol and oxycodone) and vicodin (a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone) both have contents that belong to the same drug class which means even their side-effects would be more or less the same. This can make it difficult to decide among them as both are indicated for the treatment of moderate-severe pain.

So what is the difference? Well various studies conducted by drug and substance control organizations which have led to the formation of a class, to which each medication is alloted. In this class, percocet has in fact been alloted a higher class, just one level below the class of drugs considered illegal and having a high habit-forming potential. Vicodin has been placed one class below percocet, and based on this information and the response most patients report, percocet is in fact much stronger than vicodin.

Hope you found my response helpful. Do write back to me for any further clarifications or information.

Best wishes.