What is causing white stool colour?

General Surgeon
Hi doctor im passing my stool in white colour n in pencil narrow thin...plz can u tell me what would be the reason for it

Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

White stool color can be caused by bile blockage in liver and some stomach acid neutralizing medicines. So if you have not take any medicines, bile tract blockage is the problem. Such condition is caused mechanical jaundice. With white stool you should also have dark urine and yellow color of eye sclera.
Narrow pencil like stools may be caused by some obstacle inside the large intestine.
It is strongly advisable for you to have fool blood work with bilirubin level, liver enzymes level, pancreas enzymes level, urine analysis, and colonoscopy.
Your symptoms are very unsettling and you should visit your doctor right away.
Please do not neglect it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: What is causing white stool colour? 43 minutes later
Doctor bt I really don't have any other symptoms of jaundies......but I'm unable to eat anything properly as normally....I'm not feeling hungry n eating very little food n feeling very heavy for whole day.....
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Jaundice can be not visible depending of skin color. Bilirubin blood level can tell if there is jaundice or not. Moreover your other symptom like loss of appetite, heavy feeling and thin stools are very unsettling.You should visit your doctor as soon as possible. There is not much I can help you from here.