What is causing white hair appearance all over body?

I am a 22 year old female, I have suddenly got loads of white/blondish hairs on my cheeks and chin and all over my body its getting really noticable they were never there before whats causing this? my doctor thinks I have hypothyroid could this be causing the hair growth? its really depressing me
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 3 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

No, hypothyroidism alone does not cause this problem.

The problem you have is known as hirsutism where unwanted hair appear on the face and body.

This mainly occurs with rise in male hormone levels known as androgens.

The most common cause of hirsutism is polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS).
I want to know if you have symtoms of irregular periods , acne, exces weight gain along with hair growth over face. This is because all these are present in PCOS.

Obesity itself can cause hirsutism. So if you are overweight you need to keep it as a possibility of your problem.

If you have other symtoms of male hormone excess like increased muscle mass, deepening of voice , acne then possibilty of adrenal gland disorders can be kept which includes hyperplasia and tumors.

I also want to know if by any chance you have used any medications like danazol, anabolic steroids or Phenytoin as they can also cause hirsutism.

Certain ovarian tumors can also produce male hormones and cause hirsutism along with irregular periods and abdominal mass.

Depending on what features you have, diagnosis is confirmed by ordering certain blood hormone tests and if required a pelvic imaging like ultrasound.

Treatment depends on the cause.

I hope I have answered your query.

Do revert back if you have any of the above features I mentioned and if any doubts remain.

Follow-up: What is causing white hair appearance all over body? 4 hours later
No i do not consider myself overweight i am 10 stone 2lbs and 5ft 6, for the first time this month i have been bleeding between period, i have a efew spots on chin and on back,
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 7 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Its better to start any drug only after diagnosis is made. So its better to get your hormonal work up done and if everything is normal, you need not worry.

You can use birth control pills.
Newer birth control pills with newer progesterone like XXXXXXX , Yaz, dianette and dronis have anti androgen (anti male hormone) activity. These would regularize your periods and also settle your problem of unwanted hair growth.

I hope I have answered your query.

Do revert back if any doubts remain.