What is causing weakness in my legs with myopathy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been diagnosed with myopathy brought on by steroid use for arthritis and alcohol use.I have stopped both and am seeing a physical therapist.There has been no improvement in my condition since November.Could it be something else that is causing this weakness in my legs?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Other causes need to be ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The weakness in your legs that is persistent even after stopping the causative agents can be due to other causes also like- 1. Nerve root compression at the level of lumbar spine due to degenerative changes in the spine. 2. Guillain-Barr syndrome, a rare nerve disorder that causes weakness in the legs, arms, and other muscles and that can progress to complete paralysis. 3. Myasthenia gravis, a rare, chronic disorder that causes weakness and rapid muscle fatigue. 4. A problem with the minerals (electrolytes) found naturally in the body, such as low levels of potassium or sodium. 5. Thyroid hormone imbalance. 6. Lack of muscle fitness; generalized viral infection; myositis; diabetes; medicines like statins etc are the other causes that need to be ruled out after proper investigations. You can consult a neurologist for proper evaluation. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL