What is causing irregular heartbeat, social anxiety, acne, insomnia and weakness?

Sep 2012

I think I have some form of hormonal imbalance, which causes the following symptoms:

Underweight (despite me having a good appetite and eating very well)
Acne (regular and consistent breakouts on face, partially on chest and back)
Hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating, I believe this could be caused by the two below symptoms)
Social anxiety (I always feel uncomfortable in social situations)
Extreme sensitivity to temperature (I am either very cold, or very warm)
Irregular heartbeat (This happens all of the time)
Shaking (I can't keep my hands still, and my legs start to shake if I stand up for too long)
Weakness (After walking for 5-10 minutes I feel like I have run a marathon)
Muscle spasms in face and body (normally throat, around my lips)
Insomnia (It normally takes me 3-4 hours to get to sleep)

From the small amount of research I have conducted thus far, I believe this could be a thyroid issue ? I am almost certain this is a hormal issue nevertheless.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

From you history, it can be said, that it is probably due to hyperthyroidism. In this condition, the basal metabolic rate becomes very high which leads to decreased body weight. In this condition, gonadotrophins are also increased which leads to acne formation. It causes muscle contractions which leads to tremor. It leads to high pulse rate, which may be irregular. Emotional disturbances are common which leads to nervousness and anxiety. This condition may lead to some other hormonal disturbances, like increased chance of diabetes.

So, you are right. There may be hyperthyroidism.

What you will do?

Immediately consult with an endocrinologist. But before going to him, you have to do a thyroid profile test including TSH, T3, T4. If you have enlargement of thyroid gland an ultrasound scan is needed. If required, a fine needle aspiration cytology from thyroid gland also important.

So, just consult with an endocrinologist for further management according to the hormonal status.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.