What is causing abdominal pain with physiotherapy?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Hello, I had gastric by-pass surgery just over two years ago. Since loosing my excess weight I took up running. In Oct, I completed my first Half Marathon. I have been experiencing pain in my lower abdominal region, right on top of my pelvic bone on both sides. It is sore to the touch and most painful on the right where I can feel a lump. The pain (aching) often radiates down my groin area and is worsten when I run. I have recently done 3 months of Physio therapy to treat hip burcitis but this pain is different and not in that area. It is much higher near the pelvic bone. Can you offer any suggestions on what is causing this pain?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be hernia Detailed Answer: Hi. Good to see that gastric bypass has helped you to loose the weight and get you nicely running. The area and pain you have described makes me think of a possibility of inguinal hernia as you have a lump, sore to touch and pain radiates to the groin. Please check if this lump increases on coughing, standing and running. This type of pain is noticed in newly developing hernia ( the most common cause I can think of ). If the bowel and bladder habits are normal, a physical examination by a Surgeon and ultrasonography to rule out internal problems will help diagnose the problem. In the meantime do not do any strenuous activity.
Follow-up: What is causing abdominal pain with physiotherapy? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the compliment on my weightloss. I am very proud of this new life and work really hard to maintain it :)) Would I develop a hernia because of running (hard training) and would it be on both sides? Exercise of any kind irritates it as well as standing or sitting for long periods. It doesn't seem to enlarge with coughing or running, standing. Thank you so much for your help. :)
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hernia would develop on hard work, Detailed Answer: Hi, As I said, hernia is one possibility which can develop due to hard training. And it can be on both sides as this area is inherently weak. If exercises of any kind irritates it and there is no enlargement with coughing or running , there is a possibility of strain on the muscles involved. So a check up by a Surgeon will help you to get the exact diagnosis. Until then it is better to stop strenuous work. Regards