What is cause and treatment for lichen simplex chronicus LSC with dyspigmentation?

Jan 2014

initially it started year back as an itchy scrotum. sometimes it would itch so bad that the skin would peel off due to the fingernails and a new layer wouid come...this went almost every night and always thought of just an itchy scrotum...but recently noticed some white discoloration spots on my left scrotum and i m not sure whether it is spreading to my penis as well....i have not had thinking that no std case can be a possibility, i havent seen a doctor...n now finding myself embarassed to see a dermatologist...please help me there any ointment availabke OTC for the itching and the discoloration or white patches
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: LSC with Dyspigmentation Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at HCM After going through your query, I would keep a possibility of Lichen Simplex Chronicus (LSC) with Dyspigmentation. I would be greatly helped if you could please upload a clear picture of the area of concern for me to be able to have a look at at and guide you appropriately. regards
Follow-up: What is cause and treatment for lichen simplex chronicus LSC with dyspigmentation? 45 minutes later
sir, i have just uploaded 2 images of the concerned only i noticed that the discoloration / depigmentation / white patches or spots are also there on the right side of my scrotum marriage is fixed 2 months after and i am getting concerned about this....what may be the probable reason and the disease???...can this be cured in one or two months ?...or should i be worried about a possibility of any XXXXXXX disease... please give me the necessary prescription of the ointment / cream / medicines along with any other guidelines to be followed & precautions to be taken. Kindly reply XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: LSC Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes it is definitely LSC. It is very much curable. Various treatment modalities include topical mid-potent steroid. If i was your treating doctor i would have recommended a topical mid potent steroid once daily e.g Mometasone furoate cream. The thickened skin should improve noticeably within 4 weeks with mometasone furoate. You need to apply it for a month or so and then switch to either a lesser potency steroid like fluticasone propionate for another month. An OTC antihistamine e.g Loratadine or Fexofenadine once daily would help in symptomatic control of itching. It is not communicable. It is not an infection and cannot be transmitted sexually. In other words you can have unprotected sex with your partner. regards
Follow-up: What is cause and treatment for lichen simplex chronicus LSC with dyspigmentation? 1 hour later
Sir, Thanks a lot for your prompt and immediate reply. I could understand that the mid potent steroid is a cream but what about the OTC it a cream or a tablet??....and if both are creams, do I have apply it at different times of the day?? Also, in my previous query, I forgot to apprise you that I am currently on TELFIRST H40 till next month -a medication for high BP treatment, can I continue with the same prescription or any changes??. And Sir, lastly, how can I contact you for a follow up after a month - with updates of my condition OR any other query if at all, since as per this site, only 3 days is given for discussion. Once again, sincere thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: LSC Detailed Answer: Hi. Mometasone is available as a cream whereas OTC antihistamine e.g loratadine or fexofenadine are oral tablets, which can be taken once or twice daily. They have no interaction with your BP medications and can be taken together. You can contact me via this forum by asking me a 'Direct Query' on my link WWW.WWWW.WW regards