What is aspergillosis and its teatment and prognosis?

Dec 2012

Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Is a type of fungi infection Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query, Aspergillosis is an infection or allergic response due to the Aspergillus fungus. The fungus is commonly found growing on dead leaves, stored grain, compost piles, or in other decaying vegetation. It can also be found on marijuana leaves. It hardly occurs in people with healthy immune systems and since your daughter has been treated for lupus which is a condition that is often associated to reduced immune system, that simply explains why she developed aspergillosis. It is a condition that often leads to pneumonia or fungus ball (aspergilloma). Invasive aspergillosis is treated with several weeks of an antifungal medicine. It can be given by mouth or IV (into a vein). Endocarditis caused by Aspergillus is treated by surgically removing the infected heart valves. Long-term antifungal therapy is also needed. Antifungal medicines alone do not help people with allergic aspergillosis. Allergic aspergillosis is treated with medicines that suppress the immune system (immunosuppressive drugs), such as prednisone. So, she will obviously continue taking the prednisone and her daughter might probably have to include an additional antifungal agent. Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What is aspergillosis and its teatment and prognosis? 1 hour later
Based on your reply it appears I may have had the wrong disease. A biopsy was performed on her lung and the diagnosis id asperdillosis (I think) although you mentioned aspergilloma. It has been suggested that this may have been caused fron a mold spores. Your reponse was very informative and I hope thiis may help to clarify the situation and give us some insight into what the future may hold. Although she does have good medical treatment as far as I know, but she lives in Washington state and of couse I want to help her any way I can.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is aspergillosis Detailed Answer: Aspergillosis is simply fungal infection which often affects the lungs. If biopsy was done from her lungs and the conclusion was aspergillosis, then I believe you did not get it wrong. Maybe you did not understand me well. I mentioned two different diseases conditions which are lung aspergillosis and aspergilloma. They are two different conditions which both affect the lungs. Hope she will get better while on treatment. Hope this helps further Dr. Nsah