What is anxiety, esophageal spasm and tachy-brady syndrome?

how do you know the difference between anxiety, esophageal spasm and tachy XXXXXXX syndrome?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Anxiety is something which can show signs and symptoms which can simulate almost any disease. Normally it is associated with palpitation, sweating, happens during the times of stress and the symptoms subside once you calm down.

Esophageal spasms characteristically occur while having food specially at the beginning of the meals. A sharp stabbing pain is felt in the middle of the chest.There is no definitive treatment of this condition - medicines only produce a symptomatic relief.

The problem is that symptoms which may suggest an esophageal spasm are often the result of some other condition such as:

• gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)
• achalasia- problem with the nervous system in which the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) doesn't work properly
• anxiety or panic attacks

The tachy - XXXXXXX syndrome is something which can only be diagnosed on doing an ekg.He may have a heart rate that is too fast, a heart rate that is too slow, or a heart rate that alternates between too fast and too slow. Symptoms include dizziness, faintness, palpitations, difficulty breathing, excessive sweating, chest pain, or fainting.

My suggestion would be to treat the anxiety first with medicines in consultation with your physician and see if rest of the symptoms subside. Pacemaker may be needed if tachy- XXXXXXX syndrome persists.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What is anxiety, esophageal spasm and tachy-brady syndrome? 10 hours later
But what do you do if the drs diagnosed the tachy XXXXXXX sydrome, then you move, then they say sits just anxiety. Its a different state and so they have a completely different take.
I have had EKGs done and they say its nothing thats going to kill me. I just feel like I am being blown off, and every where you look these days there are ads for dont die try this, and dont have a heart attack instead do that. There is no balance. You see the ads but the Drs are so into treating illness that they dont look at the preventative, especially if you dont have insurance.

So then what should I do? which dr should I trust?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Tachy XXXXXXX syndrome is something that if you have it, you cannot do anything to prevent it. No lifestyle changes or dietary supplements can prevent or reverse it.

You were earlier diagnosed with this syndrome but now if your EKG is normal then it might well be anxiety only. You can cross check it again after some time as sometimes tachy XXXXXXX syndrome manifests in episodes and is not always constant.

You can also self monitor yourself for any irregularity in the rhythm of your pulse.
Heart block is associated with irregular heart rate of around 30-45 beats per minute.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: What is anxiety, esophageal spasm and tachy-brady syndrome? 9 minutes later
Thank you. I was trying to get these questions answered, and no one else had been patient enough to hear me out. My heart rate currently gets down to 60's and the one time it did go into the 40s was because they had put me on atenalol for the fast heart rate issue.

My heart rate just tends to be a bit high, but i was told that can be quite normal for people on thyroid meds.

Thank You again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Hi again,

It is my pleasure that I could be of some help to you.

Wish you speedy recovery and good health in the future

Thanks once again for posting your query.