What is an alternative remedy to boniva and fosamax for osteoperosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have used boniva and fosamax for bone loss and had extreme muscle pain in my legs and neck. I quit taking them and have been diagnosed with osteoperosis. I am trying to find help without further side effects. I also have problems with my oral health, I have fillings, crowns, and three root canals and one extraction. I was considering Prolia or reclast but was concerned about osteoperosis of the jaw. Is there anything you can recommend? Is there a natural rebuilding product that could help me?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Boniva and Reclast are similar. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Bisphosphonates are the most common medications prescribed for osteoporosis treatment. These include: Alendronate (Fosamax) Risedronate (Actonel, Atelvia) Ibandronate (Boniva) Zoledronic acid (Reclast, Zometa) These are all associated with side effects. Prolia works by slowing bone loss to help maintain strong bones and reduce the risk of broken bones (fractures). It is safer than Reclast or Boniva. You can consider taking Prolia; Hormone replacement therapy; Calcitonin; calcium and vitamin D3 supplements to help with your symptoms and to decrease the further progression of the problem. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is an alternative remedy to boniva and fosamax for osteoperosis? 15 hours later
I saw that prolia can cause Osteoporosis of the jaw. With my dental record, taking it is a real concern for me. Would taking the Calcitonin, calcium and vitamin D3 supplements be enough to rebuild my bones?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: These can help you. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. It depends on the severity of osteoporosis you have. You can start with Calcitonin, calcium and vitamin D3 supplements and see if these help in increasing your bone mineral density. These can retard the further progression of osteoporosis considerably. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards