What is an alternative for Acitrome ?

My brother-in-law has been taking Acitrome 2 and Acitrome 1 after heart valve replacement. He is 66 years old. He is visiting from India and is running out of medications. Are Acitrome 2 and 1 available in US under the same name?

Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Acitrom is an anti coagulant which thins the blood and decreases the tendency of blood to clot inside the arteries thus preventing thrombosis ( clots).
Acitrom is marketed with the same name in US also but it is not an over the counter available drug. Its administration needs a careful and regular monitoring of blood coagulation profile.
You need to consult a physician and get this drug prescribed after showing him all your previous records and the doctor's recommendations in India.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.