What is a swollen lymph node behind my ear?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi, I seem to have one lymph node behind my right ear that swells on and off for the last three or four months. Often i notice it unswollen in the morning and swells maybe to the size of a garden pea at night or when im feeling tired. What do u think could be causing this? as i said its been going on for probably 4 months now but it does not hurt even when it swells. I dont have any other swollen glands in my body from what i can feel. thanks,
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kiran Kannepalli 1 hour later
Brief Answer: mihht be an inflammatory node Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the query. From the description thatyou have given , it seems to be a sub occipital node. They usually occur when there is a scalp infection. I suggest that you consult a surgeon and get an ultrasound done just to be sure. The other possibilities are an epidermal cyst or a hemangioma(very unlikely).