What is a suitable diet and exercise for stiff back?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 35 years house wife. I have been diagnosed during MRI as
First report
1. Early lumber spondylosis
2. Diffuse annular bulges at L4-5 and L5-S1 discs mildly indenting the ventral thecalsac and producing mild to moderate compromise of the corresponding neural formina
3. Mild facet joint hypertrophy at L4-5 and L5-S1 level.
4. Mild ligmentum flavum thickneing at L4-5 level
5. Mild primary bone canal stenosis at L5 level with secondary canal compromise at L5-S1 level
Second part was
1. Straightened cervical curvature , likely due to muscle spasm .
2. Early cervical spondylosis.
3. Diffuse annular bulges at C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7disc mildly indenting the ventral thecal sacand mildly compromising the neural foramina at C5-6 level with no obvious neural impegement.

Now a days i am having pain and stifness in neck and back. please suggest suitable diet and exercise along with precautions
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Back Pain
Follow-up: What is a suitable diet and exercise for stiff back? 5 minutes later
I also have problem in sitting. Cannot sleep on the back and either sides which gives stiffness to back and sensation to whole left side fromhead to toe. I also have pain during walking, which results in extereme tiredness and pain in the Hip portion.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 23 hours later

Lets take one issue at a time.

The report says early changes which show that your spine is on the path of degeneration,though in early stages, but definitely not growing young. This is not the worry.

The 2nd point is your intervertebral disc is indenting or pressing on your spinal cord and the foramina through which your nerve roots originate(refer to google images of spinal cord anatomy for clarity of situation). It means your nerves L5 and most likely S1 are getting compressed causing pain, most likely sciatic type(radiculopathy-specific part only), tingling numbness or possibly weakness too.

Rest of the report shows changes secondary to aforesaid condition. I know this is difficult to understand but look at it this way..If it progresses it would be difficult to manage conservatively.

For now you may begin using an anti inflammatory medicine with muscle relaxant, rest, lumbar traction along with diathermy/local ultrasonics. The main stay always is back strengthening exercises only after you are pain free.

Same goes for cervical spine too.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you a good health.