What is a separation of the 9th or 10th costochondral junction?

Question
what is a separation of the 9th or 10th costochondral junction?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Due to the fall, the junction of hard bone and the soft bone at 9th and 10 rib in your rib cage has got separated.
Adequate rest is essential for recovery. You can use a chest belt too.

You can take a good cough syrup and do steam inhalations.

Hot fomentation on the pain site and application of anti inflammatory gels will also help.

Consult your physician regarding the same and analgesics like paracetamol and diclofenac can be taken after his advise.

Get well soon.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: What is a separation of the 9th or 10th costochondral junction? 2 hours later
Where exactly on my rib cage is this junction of hard and soft bone? I did see a dr. and all he told me was that the pain iexperiece and the clicking I can feel is the rubbing of bone against cartilage, so I am still confused. Just where on my body is this costochondral junction?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The junction is approximately located at the center point between the axilla and hip bone. At the midpoint below your axilla, the lowest rib that you can feel is the tenth rib. The point of angulation of the ribs is where you will find the costochondral junction. You can identify it more easily on a chest X-ray.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.