What is a normal body temperature in Pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hello, Please can you tell me what is a normal body temperature in Pregnancy. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and in the past few days my oral body temperature has been 37.2oC and its usually 36.9oC If you can please advice I would be grateful. Many Thanks
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: YOU ARE IN NORMAL RANGE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Normal body temperature, measured orally is generally accepted to be 36.8° ± 0.4°C. Even for a normal non pregnant adult, fluctuations of upto 0.5 degrees daily are normal. During pregnancy, variation upto even 1 degree celsius is normal. So yes, it can range from 36 degrees C to 37.6 degrees celsius. It is generally on the higher side due to the effect of pregnancy hormones. As long as it does not cross 38.4 degrees celsius, do not worry. You are well within the normal range. All the best. Take care.

Follow-up: What is a normal body temperature in Pregnancy? 4 hours later
Hello that's great thank you very much. Can I also ask you. My baby get hiccups a few times a day, they are very faint because I have an anterior placenta. But I would say they are hiccups, is hiccups 3times a day for 5mins at a time normal at 31weeks. Or should it be something that needs investigation? Many thanks, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer: QUITE NORMAL. Detailed Answer: Hello again. Thank you for the appreciation. Yes it is very normal. Fetal hiccups can start as early on as even the first trimester. Far from being apprehensive about it, it is just an indicator of an active, healthy baby ! Happy motherhood to you.

Follow-up: What is a normal body temperature in Pregnancy? 6 hours later
Hello, Excellent thank you for all your help with my questions. I do worry very much as this is my first baby and it is very much wanted. Many thanks

Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. Thank you for the appreciation. Makes my day ! Do not worry if the pregnancy is proceeding normally, nothing else but worry will have a negative impact on the baby. Positivity from the mother flows to the baby, so think and be happy ! Please feel free to contact me anytime directly at - WWW.WWWW.WW That is the direct link to my profile. All the best, dear. Take care.