What is a good medicine to treat diabetes ?

I want a good medicine for diabetes
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Follow-up: What is a good medicine to treat diabetes ? 32 minutes later
My Blood Test Report

Fasting Blood Sugar - 170 mg
Post Prandial Blood Sugar - 311 mg
HbA1C - 8.9%
Urea - 25.0 mg
Creatinine - 0.9 mg
Cholesterol - 208 mg
Triglycerides - 98 mg
HDL - 44 mg
LDL - 140 mg
VLDL - 20 mg
Cholesterol / HDL Ratio - 4.7
Total WBC - 9400 cells/cumm
RBC - 5.41 millions/cumm
Haemoglobin - 15.5 gms
Urine Sugar - ++
Urine Protein - +

I Seen that Tribet 1 & Glynase is Same both are 500 mgm but why docotr prescribed me Tribet 1 it cost per strib Rs. 64 but Glynase MF is only Rs. 9.43 please give me a medicine like Glynase MF and also tell how many times per day i take that.

I Put Ayurveda Medicine also morning 6 Tablets(3 before Food & 3 after food) and Night 6 Tablets (3 before Food & 3 after food)
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 3 hours later

First of all avoid Ayurvedic Medicines since you are already on Antidiabetic medications.

Since you are diagnosed Diabetes mellitus at the age of 19,it is a Juvenile onset diabetes mellitus.
Early onset Diabetes mellitus (INSULIN PREPARATION. Since the Juvenile diabetes occurs only because of complete absence of insulin production in the body.

Oral Antidiabetic medications is of little help in juvenile diabetes mellitus.

Tab Tribet 1 and Tab GlynaseMF are not completely similar.

Tribet contains TAB - GLIMEPIRIDE 1 mg + PIOGLITAZONE 15 mg + METFORMIN 500 mg ( EXTENDED RELEASE )...

Glynase MF contains GLIPIZIDE 5 mg+ METFORMIN 500 mg.

GLIMEPIRIDE and GLIPIZIDE belongs to same group of drugs and the above combination( Tribet 1 and Tab GlynaseMF) is used to probably to lower the Post prandial blood sugar level.These kind of combination is frequently used.

If you want to get alternative which is economical also you should contact your doctor he will prescribe you the same after doing the FBS and PPBS. Blood sugar levels is the main criteria to introduce or to change any Antidiabetic drug.

Since the insulin requirement needed lifelong ,All Antidiabetic drugs has to be taken life long.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: What is a good medicine to treat diabetes ? 36 hours later
Dear Doctor

As You Mention me that I am a Type-I diabetes patient that means no Insulin Production in my body, shall i check my blood Insulin Level to Know how much insulin is secrete from my body.

And also Please Prescribe Me a Good and Low Cost Tablet For Me to control the sugar level.

FBS : 170
PBS : 311
Random Blood Sugar : 210 (40-45 min after lunch)
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 7 hours later

Thanks for following up.

Early onset diabetes as in your case is often Type 1. But Type 2 is also a possibility, particularly because it is now becoming common in younger age group. In order to confirm the diagnosis we usually do not measure insulin level but rather check for antibodies to insulin.

The sugar values of 170 (fasting) and 311 (PBS) are definitely on the higher side. FBS should be kept at less than 120mmHg while PPBS under 140mmHg. PPBS under 180mmHg is acceptable values. - How long ago were these tests done? If the tests were months old, you may have to repeat the tests, you could also get blood Hba1c levels checked. They will decide the further course of treatment.

I cannot suggest you diabetes medicines here because they are prescription drugs, meaning they may have side effects and should only be given after a doctor has examined you physically. You should discuss this with your doctor, and if possible with a diabetologist. He will prescribe you the required medications to bring your sugar in control as well as monitor your further diabetic treatment. You can also tell the doctor that cost is a concern for you, so that he can suggest you a good and economical brand of medicine.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good luck.