What is a bump on my finger after an injury?

I was putting dishes away and I hit my right index finger against the dishes and now I have a small bump on the side of the finger near the joint. I can bend it so I know it isn't broken and there is no pain.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: occurs as a result of trauma Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Trauma, whether it is mild or severe, can result in abnormalities in the area involved. They can be different consequences such as : (1) swelling either localised (restricted to particular area) or generalised swelling (swelling involves a larger area) (2) cyst formation- in some persons trauma can also result in the formation of a cyst in the particular area. A cyst is a sac filled with fluid. In most cases a mixture of clear fluid and blood In both of these cases, the area tends to resolve with time, the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, would help but is not necessary if there is no associated pain. You can take one of these, however, if the area is disturbing to you, the anti inflammatory aspect of these drugs would help it resolve faster. Other than that, a compress can also be applied. Since the injury is recent, you can use a cold compress. It would normally resolve in 7 to 14 days. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions