Ask a Urologist   »  

What is Trans Urethral Resection of Prostrate ?

67 yrs male button turp done 4/12/11 .Burning urine all the time ,have many blood clots .Was taken to E/R two weeks ago ,clots blocking urine flow ,bladder flushed .Have used three type s of antibiotics nothing stops this burning.Also two small kidney stones in each kidney.what should i do? Burning still when urinating.Weight 183 health good.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Button TURP (TransUrethral Resection of Prostate) is a newer method for Benign enlargement of prostate using laser vaporization techniques.
After any TURP procedure your urosurgeon should have told you to expect the following for at least one month:
1.     Increased frequency of urination
2.     Urgency and maybe some urinary leakage with the urgency
3.     Burning with urination
4.     Blood tinged urine
In your case, there seems to more prostate tissue which has led to increased problem.
You should contact your urosurgeon in emergency if there is the following:
1.     Fevers
2.     Flank pain
3.     Nausea or vomiting
4. Stoppage of urine.
Kindly get your Urine checked for infection. Take an appropriate antibiotic only if there is infection.

Drink plenty of water.

Hope I answered your query, I am available for follow ups as well.
Follow-up: What is Trans Urethral Resection of Prostrate ? 14 hours later
Dr. you said in my case there seems to be more prostate tissue leading to my increased problem. My urosurgeon said that there was more tissue ,but do to time restriction at surgery he could not remove more.Will my current problem go away in time or will there have to be more tissue removed?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow-up query,
In your case it is better that you wait for three months. If the problems do not subside, you may go for repeat TURP.
Urosurgeons remove all the obstructing prostate tissues during single seating and it is beyond comprehension why all the tissues were not removed in first seating itself.
What is "time restriction"? It is better to spend some time more and remove all tissues rather than go for a repeat TURP.