What is Hepatic hemangioma and how can it be treated ?

Gastroenterologist
Question

Please advise me what to do now and also answer the following queries.
1)     What is this Hepatic hemangioma.
2)     What is the treatment?
3)     Radiologist told me it does not need any treatment.
4)     What is the risk if it is left without treatment?
5)     What precautions I have to take if it is not treated
6)     Do I need to avoid any physical activity such as, running, sleeping, any physical shocks etc?
7)     Is there any risk in the long run?
8)     Is my present stomach problem is due to this tumor or there may be some other reason.
9)     Any other advised which is not included in these queries.
10)     What do I require next to do
Please reply back as soon as possible.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 5 hours later

I have read through your history and the following are my answers to your queries.

1) What is this Hepatic hemangioma.
Answer: It is commonest non-cancerous tumor of liver.

2) What is the treatment?
Answer: Most hemangiomas are small, non concerning problems. They do not require treatment most often. We generally wait and observe,

3) Radiologist told me it does not need any treatment.
Answer: I agree with your radiologist. As your symptoms do not seem to be related to this tumor, it is best left untreated.

4) What is the risk if it is left without treatment?
Answer: Most hepatic hemangioma do not cause major complications when left alone. So do not worry. Rarely, larger hemangiomas can rupture, causing severe pain and bleeding into the abdomen that may be severe or even life threatening. However such possibilities are extremely rare.

5) What precautions I have to take if it is not treated
Answer: Do not worry. The symptoms that you have does not seem to be related to hepatic hemangioma. Specific treatment or precautions are not required now. Follow up with your primary care provider regularly.

6) Do I need to avoid any physical activity such as, running, sleeping, any physical shocks etc?
Answer: No, no such restrictions are needed.

7) Is there any risk in the long run?
Answer: Extreme rare occurance of above mentioned complications occur in the long run. So nothing much to be concerned.

8) Is my present stomach problem is due to this tumor or there may be some other reason.
Answer: I do not feel your symptoms are related to this tumour. There must be some other reason.

9) Any other advised which is not included in these queries.
Answer: You seem to have chronic (lassting mor than 4 week) diarrhoea. I would have recommended stool examination, microscopy, culture, thyroid function test, HIV, and colonoscopy.

I would like to know:
- What is the consistency of stool?
- Did you notice blood in it?
- Did you have fever?
- Have you lost weight? How is appetite?

10) What do I require next to do
Answer: I would recommend you consult a gastroenterologist. A physical examination and further testing may help us in finding reason for your symptoms.

Hope I have answered all your queries adequately. Should you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.

Dr Vaibhav Banait