What is Cervical dysplasia ?

I have recently noticed bleeding after sex. I had an abnormal pap smear two years ago classified as ASCUS. I had a repeat pap smear last year that came back normal. I am due for a pap smear this month. Should I be concerned about cervical dysplasia? Could this cause post coital bleeding? What else could be causing the bleeding?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Cervical dysplasia (abnormal changes in cell surface of cervix) is one of the common causes of post coital bleeding.

Chronic inflammation of cervix also makes the cervical tissue friable and it bleeds on touch causing post coital bleeding.

Another common cause is rough sex. If the bleeding is occasionally associated with sex then it can be due to wear and tear of the vaginal mucosa during sex.

It is high time that you get your PAP smear done and if it comes normal then get yourself vaccinated against HPV which is the most probable causative agent associated with cervical carcinoma.

Other causes of such bleeding include- cervical polyp, vaginal yeast infection, cervicitis, some STDs, endometriosis, etc. If your pap smear comes negative then you can get yourself screened for STDs, culture to rule out fungal infections.

You will also have to do pelvic examination by a gynaecologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.