Ask a Urologist   »  

What is Balanoposthitis ?

I am a 40 year old married man (My wife is my only sexual partner) I have a dry and cracked foreskin, which gives me mild discomfort, this is the first time this has happened to me. Can I apply a cream?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 20 minutes later
Dear Arron,

Welcome to Healthcaremagic

Cracked foreskin may be a sign of 'BALANOPOSTHITIS' It is candidial (fungal) infection of some oil-producing glands present in the foreskin of penis. You may be having this infection.

Do you have history of diabetes? - Before I suggest you any medicines, I would like to point out that you ought to check for Diabetes Mellitus. There is a very strong co-relation between DM and Balanoposthitis. You need to check for fasting blood sugar and blood sugar two hours after meals (PPBS).

Meantime you may apply an antifungal cream containing 'Terbinafine' once a day till resolution. Along with it, a course of oral antifungal medications may be needed in some instances. Oral terbinafine tablets are often used in such cases. You can get this prescribed from your healthcare provider.

I am looking forward to hear about your blood sugar status.

Thanks for your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.