What is BPPV in a scan report and what is the dosage of betahistine for vertigo?

Nov 2013

I am suffering from severe vertigo, and i already checked with all reports but the reports are showing as normal. Would you please help me to the problem.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX I have noted your symptoms. It is unfortunate that your vertigo has not improved with allopathy medications. First of all, we need to be sure what the reason is for your vertigo. The most common cause is BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, due to a problem in the ear. In this condition, the vertigo becomes more with change of head and neck posture. The other cause can be lack of blood flow to brain. In this condition, in addition to vertigo, other symptoms such as imbalance of walking, slurred speech and double vision may be present. It can be confirmed or excluded by doing an MRI scan of brain. The medication that can help you are betahistine or cinnarizine. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: What is BPPV in a scan report and what is the dosage of betahistine for vertigo? 14 minutes later
I already did with MRI XXXXXXX EEG, Blood Tests and so more scanning in Manipal Hospital, Bangalore, And the reports stating as normal. And would you please explain me what is BPPV.I also consulted with the ENT whether any misposition of Timphanice membrane, but ENT told me that the Membrane is in normal position itself. You prescribed me some drugs like betahistine or cinnarizine, how to use them whether the drug is for long period or short period. because i already tried with so many drugs previously there is no use with them, Maximum they are giving some temporary relief, but i want some permanent solution. Would you please help in curing the disease permanently.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back and providing more information. It is good to note that your MRI brain was normal, which excludes a brain disease. In this scenario, the most likely diagnosis is BPPV. BPPV suggests a problem with the semicircular canal, where some particles accumulate in the fluid. This is not a serious problem, however, it is a disabling problem. The initial treatment is with betahistine tablets. If you were my patient, I would treat you with a dose of 16 mg three times daily for 2-4 weeks. In addition, physiotherapy with vestibular rehabilitation or adaptation exercises would be useful. With the above treatment, we expect permanent improvement in 4-6 weeks. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: What is BPPV in a scan report and what is the dosage of betahistine for vertigo? 27 minutes later
Thank you for responding to my questions and provided me the valuable suggestions. I would follow as per your instructions and see if there would be any improvement in my problem. I will get in touch with you after using the drug which you prescribed to me. Once again Thank you....
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you Detailed Answer: Thank you and best wishes, I would be glad to assist you in future too.. Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)