What is BMI. How does abdominal gurt affect cardiovascular risk?

please explain is it calcualted and its importance, number range etc

what are some cardiac risk, how does abdominal gurt affect cardiovascular risk,

Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a cardiologists I was waiting this question for long, I read it with diligence.
BODY MASS INDEX (BMI): measures the weight status of your body in relation to the fat. It is a simple tool that helps to figure out the amount of excess body fat and the associated risks of carrying this extra weight. It can be applied to both men and women. It is advisable to use ‘Body Mass Index’ along ‘Waist to Hip Ratio’ to get a complete picture of your weight status. Waist is girth you are mentioning.
English BMI Formula
BMI = ( Weight in Pounds / ( Height in inches x Height in inches ) ) x 703
Metric BMI Formula
BMI = ( Weight in Kilograms / ( Height in Meters x Height in Meters ) )
BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Above 35 it is called morbid obesity
Waist / Hip ratio should be in <1, that is your girth at waist should not exceed , circumference at the level of hips. In absolute values term Waist should not be more than 100 Cm in men and 90 in women. More means extra fat.
All these denote central obesity, where fat has high propensity for coronary artery heart disease, in fact these are taken as risk factor(s). If you have any further query let me know, I shall get back asap.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW