What injections can be given to save my friend's mother suffering from bronchitis on ventilator?

Pulmonologist
Question
a friend's mother is suffering from bronchitis, the doctor's have now out her on a ventilator and claim there is not much hope left, she has multiple other problems for which she was admitted to the hospital and was seeking treatment, the bronchitis began a week ago and has worsened into a situation where they have her on a ventilator now, is there any injections by which she can be saved?
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Her condition is critical as of now. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following: 1. Your friend's mother currently seems to be in ICU. 2. Is she on an invasive or non invasive ventilator? 3. If she is on a non invasive ventilator, then conditions are slightly better but however if she is on an invasive ventilator, the condition will be a bit critical. 4. Considering her comorbidites (i.e. her other accompanying other diseases like diabetes, atherosclerosis, parkinsoninm, bed sores, etc.) her prognosis will be guarded. 5. Her attack of bronchitis will require antibiotics, bronchodilator injections, which I am sure , she must be getting. Nebulisation helps a lot symptomatically. 6. What is her chest Xray picture like? A lot depends on that. 7. Be sure that a clinical opinion of chest physician/ Pulmonologist is taken. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: What injections can be given to save my friend's mother suffering from bronchitis on ventilator? 38 minutes later
Hello Doctor, yes the patient is in ICU & on a non invasive ventilator. They have not taken any x-ray's. Nebulisation was being done for the last 3-4 days. She's being given e-cort 5 and lupinem injections for the last few days. Though she was given these medicines, the condition has worsened now. The doctor's are saying no hope left, but are there any other injections that can be taken which the hospital may not be aware of. Any newer developed medicines which may not be widely known as yet? The doctor said he might try an amoxicillin but hasn't yet done so. A pharmacist suggested solumedrol, but didn't want to blindly go for it without a doctor's suggestion. I'm sure the doctor has tried good medicines, but there are cases where better life saving injections may be available which are not yet known to everyone. Are there any suggestions that we can put forth to our doctor? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Chest Xray may help. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1. A bedside xray chest may help to know the exact nature of underlying condition. 2. You may consult your physician regarding the possible risk of aspiration. Additional antibiotics like clarithromycin and metronidazole may be considered by your physician as options but do not expect any dramatic results considering the associated co morbid conditions. The consultant physician is the best judge of the required medications since he is fully aware of the patient's clinical parameters. 3. At this stage supportive management is important. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologis