What ie the treatment for muscular pain after total hip replacement?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i had total hip replacement in Aug.2013 anterior approach and was doing fine... Have developed moderate to severe pain in the thigh area that does not deem to be improving.. My orthopedist says the hip looks great!! What can this be ... I massage the area --use ice-- used heat etc. .
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: can be due to various causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The moderate to severe pain in the thigh that you are having could be due to a muscular pain caused by minor muscle strain nerve root compression at the level of lower spine biomechanical problems due to hip replacement a loosened prosthesis etc. In addition to the measures you are already taking you can get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician and see if it helps. If the pain is still persistent then CT scan is advisable to find out any abnormality. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL