What has happened if I cannot walk on my right leg?

I was climbing into the boat today..As i stepped up on the the boat and stretched over to another step..My right calf felt as if I burst a Balloon inside or a rubber band..I can not walk or put pressure on it..It has been about 6 hours since this happen and I now have red splotchey areas from my calf up to the bend of my knee..Just concerned about what is going on. I am 5' 4" and 47 years old..I weigh 184
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Hello and thank ou for your query.

My main concern here is that you may have torn or ruptured your achilles tendon. This is a long tendon which brings the muscles of your lower leg together and attaches them via the tendon tissue to the heel bone (calcaneus). With the right amount of stress and angle of stress, sometimes it is possible to tear or rupture this tendon.

Another possibility here is a tear of a calf muscle - can be painful and lead to swelling and bruising.

Suffice it to say - you will need an evaluation by a physician. They may likely order an xray study and or possibly an MRI scan as well to evaluate the tissue of the leg.

I suspect you will encounter a bit more swelling so I suggest for now keep the leg elevated, ice the leg as much as tolerable for the next 24 hours, start aggressive anti-inflammatory medication such as Alleve (2 tabs twice a day or ibuprofen 200 mg tabs - 3 tabs three times per day).

Try to get in to see a physician soon for a thorough exam - during the weekend your choices are limited to urgent care/ER and they will basically tell you the same thing and possibly do an xray. It sounds like you will likely need to see an orthopedist as well.

I am sorry you have to deal with this injury and I appreciate your asking our opinion in interpreting what is going on. I hope my answer was informative for you and should you have additional followups I am available to address them.

Dr. Robert