What happens when suffering from subaortic obstructive cardiomyopathy?

Ihave a new diagnosis of subaortic obstructive cardiomyopathy. I am being treated with beta blockers, I am 70 years old. what should I expect my life to be like and how long do people with this live. I am very frienghtened
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Cardiomyopathy Detailed Answer: Dear galisnowmcarthur, You should not be frightened of the problem you have as the problems in life come and go and as human being we are mortal. Cardiomyopathy is a chronic progressive disorder where the forceful contraction of the heart is affected and blood supply to the organs is affected. it is necessary to give less strain to heart and improve the contraction. Beta blockers maintain the blood pressure on the lower side so that heart has less strain. If B.p is kept under control with occasional diuretics and beta blockers you may continue to have normal life span unless the ejection fraction of the heart has darstically reduced. Your outcome also depends upon the degree of cardiomyopathy and the time duration you have been suffering from it. As long as you are comfortable with beta blockers you do not have to wory, except the minor physical disability you have almost normal life. Be happy,a merry heart doeth like a good medicine. Dr. Ticku