What happens when a person drinks 2 glass of house cleaner?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi doctor,

what will happen when a person drinks two glasses of XXXXXX which is a house cleaner. Will he die? My brother has taken it, i am worried now.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

Your brother has taken two glasses of XXXXXX the cleaner. The chemical composition of XXXXXX is isopropanol which is isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly and is extremely flammable and toxic to human in concentrated doses, targeting nervous system, cardiovascular system, liver and kidney.

First of all it will cause burning right from mouth up to the intestine. It will cause burning of mouth, pharynx and oesophagus, and stomach large intestine. Then it will target other organs.

You should immediately shift this patient to hospital, so that the effect of alcohol can be neutralized.

I think I have answered your question; Please do write back for any further that you may have.

I wish quick recovery for you brother.

Follow-up: What happens when a person drinks 2 glass of house cleaner? 13 hours later
Hi Doctor,

i just found out that the he has taken a small glass of XXXXXX mixed with water and out of that he has taken 1/2 of it and spilled out while vomiting out of whatever he took. No excruciating pain he has got in the stomach but he feels a little bit of disturbance in the stomach. Do we need to get endoscopy done for him?

Nice to hear from you that he has taken only small quantity and that too he has vomited out. Vomiting was natural, as it is an irritant to stomach. It is also good that he doesn't have much pain.

For mild pain he can take Tablet pantoprazole. Though there is hardly any need for endoscopy now, but if done, will be more beneficial to look for any oesophageal burns and gastritis caused by XXXXXX

I hope I addressed your query. If you have no more queries, please accept the answer and write a review.

I wish him best of luck, with the advice not to repeat such incidence.