What happens when ESR is high?

What happens when ESR is high, ma having pains in my fingers and feet. Worst in morning
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need More Detail. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to XXXXXXX ESR is a non-specific marker. It can be increased in any infection or inflammation , so it is co-related clinically with other signs and symptoms , as well as with other investigations. So , I need to evaluate you regarding this high ESR. ESR Of 40 mm/hr is high, and requires evaluation I need to know exactly where you have pain , in the muscles or in the joints? Are you having any stiffness in morning associated with pain? Any history Reddening of eyes frequently, oral ulcers, any rashes , or any other medical history? Any recent fever or any fever of long duration? Any cough or expectoration? Any history of diabetes. Do also mention , since how long you are having these pains in fingers and feet. They are on both hands and both feet or random? Revert me with these answers , so that i can help you in making the possible diagnosis.
Follow-up: What happens when ESR is high? 20 minutes later
Hi I have pain in hand fingers..all 10 and feet most affected is left. Its like something is picking when i walk...a strong needle inside.. I have pains for more than 6 months now..its too worse that the pain is unbearable. All 10 fingers..i couldnt type..sometimes couldnt for long hours..when i close my fingers it hurts No history of diabetes..and i didnt get any fever..cough But i am affected by back pain for more than four years.. I couldnt sit down more than 10 min. No diagnosis has done..i just apply hot water bag or volini. Thats all. Please let me what would be the reason for my pains...
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: You require further investigation Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. The possible causes of pain in your case could be: 1. Rheumatoid Arthritis 2. Seronegative Spondyloarthritis. 3. Ankylosing spondylosis 4. Fibromyalgia I would order for the following investigations to isolate the cause: 1. Repeat ESR 2. R-Factor 3. Anti ccp antibodies 4. ANA 5. Liver and Kidney function test 6. Urine routine and microscopy 7. Xray Dorsal Spine 8. Vitamin D3 and Vitamin B12 levels. This workup would eventually rule out all possibilities. Your treating doctor will know about these tests. An actual examination would actually help to rule out the condition in co relation with these investigations. Consult a good physician there or a rheumatologist , discuss my views with him , he may eliminate a few test based on clinical examination. I hope I am able to answer your query , still if you have any query ask me. Stay Healthy.