What happens to the tonsil tissue after a tonsilectomy? Thrown away?

ENT Specialist
What happens to the tonsil tissue after a tonsilectomy? Is it usually checked for any issues or just thown away?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The tonsil tissue specimen is usually discarded and incinerated (as per bio-medical waste rules) after tonsillectomy.

2. Histopathological examination is done when a malignancy or foreign body is anticipated.

3. Routine culture of the specimens is no longer done.

4. Routine tonsillectomy removes almost all of the tonsil tissue. Sometimes, a tiny amount may be left behind at the lower pole in some techniques.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.