What happens in a abdominal hysterectomy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2010 my Dr left my right ovary. I've just been contacted to revisit for a check after the examination I have been advised I have a cervical stump, when I questioned the fact that I thought a XXXXXXX was removal of the uterus and cervix i was advised this is normally the case I wasn't given adequate response to why I have I have a cervical stump - response was the clamps are sometimes not high enough and sometimes some of the cervix remains and this is what is called a cervical stump. I am now being offered a further operation, which I believed had been completed Can you assist in helping me understand?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your query and i understand your concerns. Following is my reply: 1) Total abdominal hysterectomy involves removal of uterus along with cervix as you rightly said. 2) Sometimes due to technical difficulty cervix might have been left behind making surgery a partial hysterectomy. 3) This cervical stump now if left behind need not be removed as it is fine to leave the cervix behind. 4) Keep getting regular pap smears and as of now there is no need to get it operated again. Let me know if you have anymore queries. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: What happens in a abdominal hysterectomy? 13 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Koregol Thanks for your response, why am I only just being advised now that I have a cervical stump. After the total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) I went for post op examination and was advised all ok and was informed my uterus and cervix had been removed. It is only because the Cervical cancer foundation contacted me 12 months after my operation asking why I hadnt been going for my pap smear and I advised I had a XXXXXXX and therefore no longer required pap smears, they then advised they needed sign off from my gynaceologist - this is when the Dr contacted me to check the cervix had been totally been removed - but she advised previously it had - I feel very confused. Cheers XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Hi There seems to be some mistake from doctor's office about information communicated to you. There is nothing to get confused. If the examination now has confirmed presence of cervix now means XXXXXXX was not performed because of some reasons known to your doctor. Now let's think what to be done next