What happens if you take wrong colour of logynon pill? Will sex afterwards undesirably?

Question
What happens if you take wrong colour of logynon pill? I XXXXXXX taken 4 of the light brown instead of the White by mistake and in my panic when I realised I took all 4 of the White ones. I am really worried as my partner and I have had sex twice this week.
Please can you advise.
Thanks
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Logynon is a triphasic oral contraceptive that works to prevent pregnancy. It contains both progestogen and oestrogen. It should be taken for 21 days of your cycle, which is followed by a seven day break.

You should take your first pill on the first day of your period, so you will be protected immediately; you should start by taking the light brown pills (30 micrograms ethinylestradiol and 50 micrograms levonorgestrel) first, then 5 white tablets (40 micrograms ethinylestradiol and 75 micrograms levonorgestrel) the very next day. For the remaining ten days, you should take one XXXXXXX coloured tablet (30 micrograms ethinylestradiol and 125 micrograms levonorgestrel).

If you have taken brown instead of white, the only difference will be lower dose of the medication. It will most probably not cause pregnancy. Also you have taken all 4 white tablets, so it is doubtful you have conceived. Now you can start all over again from the first day of your next periods with the brown pills. Till then it is better not to have intercourse or if you do, use contraception.

Also if your periods are delayed you will need to do the urine pregnancy test to confirm, even though pregnancy is doubtful.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: What happens if you take wrong colour of logynon pill? Will sex afterwards undesirably? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your advise, so to confirm with you do I continue with the remainder of my pills as normal now for the next 11 days but use extra protection if need be then stop as usual for 7 days (for my period as I only have a 21 day pack of pills I do not take any pills during my period) then start a new pack when my period ends (7 pill free days end)?

Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Radhika 16 hours later

Thank you for the follow up.

You can continue with the remaining pills and also use extra protection during intercourse during this period. Since you had to take additional 4 tablets (white) together, you might find your periods to be delayed. Start the pack fresh once you get your period. It is always better if you start the new tablets on the first day of your menstrual cycle, so that you will be provided protection immediately.

The pill free period like the 7 day pill free days is again non fertile days. Once you start your pack, you should again be protected against pregnancy.

Hope it’s clear to you now. Should you have any doubts/concerns, I will be available to clarify and guide you further. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.