What happens if safe tussin is taken with omeprazole which contain MAOI?

Question
DOES MOEPRAZOLE DR 40 MG HAVE MAOI IN IT I TOOK SAFE TUSSIN IT SAID DONT TAKE IF YOU R TAKING ANYTHING WITH MOI IN IT IM ON HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE 25 MG PRAVASTATIN SODIUM 40 MG BENICAR 40 MG 1/2 TAB ANFENOFIBRATE 134 MG WILL IT HURT ME
DOES ANY OF THESE MEDS HAVO MAOI IN THEM I JUST WANT TO ASK A QUESTION
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend,

Thanks for entrusting your query here. I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

No, Omeprazole DR is not a MAOI (proton pump inhibitor effective against acidity. Infact none of your listed drugs are MAOI.

MAOIs when taken with certain medicines (like doxylamine in SAFE TUSSIN) can cause XXXXXXX hypertensive crises. Hence this precaution.

Let me tell you that doxylamine should be taken with caution in elderly hypertensives, those with glaucoma and gut obstruction.
Since you are a hypertensive, exercise caution and be guided by your doctor regarding cough formulae. Many OTC cough remedies have sympathomimetic components that may cause surge in BP.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole

Good Luck! Thank you!!