What happens if overdose of panadol and citrizin is taken?

ENT Specialist
Question
overdose of panadol and citrizin what happen
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It depends upon the number of tablets calculated in mg or grams per Kg body weight that you may have taken.

2. Approximately, more than 4 grams of paracetamol (Panadol) and more than 10 mg of Cetrizine (I assume you mean cetrizine when you typed 'citrizin') may be considered an over doseage.

3. If you suspect an overdose, please inform a relative and contact the nearest hospital.

4. Paracetamol toxicity will have minimal symptoms in the first 24 hours, Dosages above 10 grams or 200 mg/kg body weight per day/ single dose will be toxic in an adult. Paracetamol mainly damages the liver. Treatment is available.

5. Cetrizine is a safe drug and toxicity may occur after 50 mg has been ingested. Cetrizine overdose will cause sedation (excessive sleepiness), dry mouth, constricted pupils, headache, tremors, difficulty walking, hallucinations, seizures, urine retention, increased heart rate and so on. There is no specific treatment.

6. Common side effects are gastritis, nausea and vomiting.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: What happens if overdose of panadol and citrizin is taken? 6 minutes later
Aalcoholic person consumed overdose of citrizin and also he has some ecg findings what happen

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. If the patient is an alcoholic, his liver is probably weak.

2. If you are not sure of the actual number of tablets of Panadol and Cetrizine consumed, you must immediately admit him for observation and treatment.

3. What are the exact ECG changes?

Regards.