What happens after losing patellar tendon and patella?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I suffered a severe burn to my right knee/lower leg a few months ago. I had skin graft and skin substitute surgery but I lost all my patellar tendon and my patella has been exposed since the injury. It now looks like I'm going to lose my patella. Please can you tell me, honestly, what the likely affects losing both will be? My surgeon doesn't say much at the moment and I'm not good at asking when we're there... both staring at my knee.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be corrected surgically. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Losing patellar tendon and patella can cause a difficulty in active extension of the leg. This is a minor disability and you can carry out your daily activities without much difficulty. Once the skin heals properly then a reconstruction surgery of the tendon will help in restoring all the functions of the knee. Please do not worry. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL