What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er?

Excellent

Question
What would happen if you took 10,000 mgs of cardizem er
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 28 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your heart would go in for a complete block, cardiac arrest and death eventually if you took 10,000 mg of Cardizem ER.

It seems like this is a query of academic interest. Let me know if otherwise.

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 5 hours later
Yes it is what does all that feel like is it a painful and long process please give me as muc information as possible. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Sorry for the delay in my response.

Yes, it is painful and the death is usually sudden due to a sudden cardiac arrest. The heart would stop conducting the impulses with high doses of Cardiazem. Ultimately, the entire conduction would stop and the heart would arrest with not more beating. This is the simplest way I can explain to you. The heart no more beats after a certain point, there is no functioning and obviously, rest of all the organs would stop functioning as well due to heart failure.

Hope this is clear.

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 4 hours later
Is this a long process how much time does it take for this prOcess and will this happen with or without medical interventiOn?

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 35 minutes later
This is not a long process. It can occur in few minutes to within one to two hours.

Without medical intervention, this is the course. With medications, we can intervene at any point depending on the time of arrival of the patient into the medical care.

I hope this is helping you out.

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 2 hours later
Without intervention what would be the time frame that someeone would die from when they took the pills
Would it change the situation if metoprol succ er 500 mgs and lisinopril 400 mgs were added

Hi XXXXXXX

Sorry for the delay in my response. It's festival here in India. Been a little busy.

The time frame of death from the time of ingestion of the medication would be within 4 hours.

Yes, when metoprolol and lisinopril are added, the effects would be stronger and faster. Patient will die earlier than 4 hours.

Yes, it would absolutely lead to death and would take not more than 4 hours.

You can read about the medications if you are a Pharmacology student.

If you intend to do this to yourself, then it is absolutely not worth trying it.

I hope you understand.

I will follow up on the reading I do not have any thoughts of doing this would this be a painful death and is death the only outcome

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I appreciate your interest on the subject.

Well, I am glad that you do not have any thoughts of doing this. Great!

I would say the death would be something like a heart attack. Yes, it is painful but the pain would not last longer as death ensues quickly.

Death is not the only outcome. Retrieval of the patient back to life is possible too.

I hope this clarifies. I would be glad to answer your other queries as well, that you may have.

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 7 hours later
Hi thanks just wondering what the initial effects would be how would someone feel

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The initial effects would be altered mental sensorium, a low pulse rate, fall in blood pressure, shock with cold and clammy extremities, heart arrhythmias, heart block and changes in the ECG (Electrocardiogram).

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 8 hours later
Would all that be painful and uncomfortable what if someone took 60 mgs of ativan in addition to that would it make a difference

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes, it would be uncomfortable and painful.

Taking Ativan would make the situation worse.

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 15 minutes later
Is there any way someone could just pass away in their sleep from this

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 34 hours later
Sorry XXXXXXX

I was off for the weekend.

No, someone cannot just pass away like this in their sleep. There would be pain for at least a few minutes.

Thanks!

Follow-up: What happen after taking overdose of cardizem er? 35 minutes later
Thank you do you think it would only be for a few minutes in total of pain

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 22 minutes later
Yes, it can be that way too.

So considering the whole scenario it could not be painful and lead to a quick death

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later

It would definitely be painful but the intensity of the pain may vary. Yes, it leads to quick death.