What factors lead to high levels of metoprolol in blood?
User rating for this question
If the daily doseage of Metoprolol is 150mg before bedtime, how might it be possible for this medication to reach 5 times the normal level in the blood? Would decreased liver function be the cause and allow this high of a level to occur? I understand that Metoprolol only stays in the body for about 24-36 hours. Is it possible for the levels of that drug to get to super high levels (1200+) by taking just one does of 150mg? If no, how much of the Metoprolol might it take to reach a level that high?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 8 hours later
Brief Answer: It's possible to get to super high levels of drug. Detailed Answer: Hi i read your query very carefully. There are some factors that may lead to high levels of plasma metoprolol. 1- Liver failure (decreased liver function). Metoprolol is metabolized by CYP2D6 enzime in liver and the plasma level are increased in liver failure. 2- Poor metabolizers of Cytocrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) develop high blood concentrations. 3- Drug interaction (Antidepresive drugs, antiarrhythmic drugs, antihistaminic ect) may increase the plasma concentration. Yes it's possible to get to this super high levels of metoprolol by just taking one dose of 150mg of metoprolol, especially where the three mentioned factors are founded together in a single person (liver failure, poor metabolizers of CYP2D6 and drug interaction). Hope it answered to your query! Dr. Benard
People also viewed
- What functions of metoprolol tartrate?
- 136 over 97 blood pressure
- High blood pressure on metoprolol and atenolol continue
- 136 97 blood pressure
- 136 98 blood pressure
- Is sinus infection dangerous
- Lopressor metoprolol and high hemoglobin
- Metoprolol blood in urine
- Metoprolol blood pressure effectiveness
- What should i do for indigestion and acidity
- Is there a possibility of pregnancy after taking adderall
- Is 136 good cholesterol
- Severe head pain behind left eye with droopy eye
- Suffering from allergic cough cold and sneezing
- Is 136102 high blood pressure