What exactly is mild subcortical microvasular ischemia without an acute infarct? Is it a stroke?

Excellent
Question
What exactly is 'mild subcortical microvasular ischemia without an acute infarct? Is it a stroke?
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Mild subcortical microvasular ischemia without an acute infarct indicates an age related microvascular change in the brain commonly seen in diabetics, hypertensives, etc. It does not indicate any pathology and is an age related degenerative change. This is not related to stroke.
All white matter lesions do not represent a disease.
The lesions found in your case -if these are non progressive, then are more indicative of a benign chance finding. In the absence of any clinical signs and symptoms, the significance of these white matter lesions are difficult to assess.

These lesions are responsible for memory impairment (vascular dementia) in some individuals. A neurological examination to look for cognitive impairment is needed to diagnose the condition.

Hence I advise you to follow with your neurologist. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: What exactly is mild subcortical microvasular ischemia without an acute infarct? Is it a stroke? 50 minutes later
Since I have neither diabetes nor high blood pressure, what other conditions can cause it? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
These lesions are more commonly seen in the MRI of patients who have cerebrovascular risk factors like hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol as well those that smoke. Their incidence increases with age.
These can just be physiological variations also in the absence of any pathology.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.