What effect does altitude have on tremors when suffering from Parkinson's?

Hi, I am 53 with Parkinson's. I am physically fit and workout 5 times a week. I tremor mostly on my left side, hand and leg. I have 2 homes. One at 800'MSL and one at 9000'MSL. My tremors seem a lot worse at high altitude. What effect does altitude have on tremors?? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Altitude causes alkalosis which causes tremor Detailed Answer: Hi Generally speaking as one climbs over 8000ft there is low CO2 concentration. This leads to higher blood pH and alkalosis. Alkalosis leads to confusion, tremors, light headedness, nausea etc. So naturally one should expect to have greater intensity of tremors at high altitudes in a parkinson. On the contrary you should also be having some other symptoms because of alkalosis, do you have them as well.