What dose of anti-depressant should i take for anxiety disorder?

Question
hi, im a 36 year old male , i have anxioty disorder and have been on diffrent midication over th past 5 years, strated with prozac , then effexor then finally for hte last year i have been taking Paxil (seroxate) . the resons why i switched from effexor to paxil is that effexor was so good that i decided it was time for me to quite, I quite in 2 weeks and then hell broke lse with side efects etc so my doctor put me on paxil. i was taking 1*25mg +1*12.5 mg so total 37.5 a day. things got better for a year, then i decided i want to get of it again so i started tapering down by -10% everymonth, i went ver well till i reached only 12.5 mg a day. now comes the problem. after a cuple of month i strated getting light anxioty again. so my doctor suggested i go up in my dose again which i refused causei hated this dug and what it does to me (sleeplesness, lack of consuntration etc) so he told me i can switch to prozac if i want, the method was to take one 20mg of prozac every day allong side paxil for a week then stop paxil and continue with prozac alone. I did that , the forst week was fine , but now things re very bad, im gettign contiues panic attacks, as sson as i wake up in the modning, numness in my head and no ability to concerntrate or work. the only way i ontrol it is by taking laxotanil 3mg and that doesn;t work also so i started taking xanax .5mg twice a day , hoping that these are just wothdrawal dimptoms and wll go away in a wek or so once prozac kicks in.
my question is :
1- should i hold on and wait , will proza ake the withdrawal symptoms of paxil go a away, and how long will this take.
2- sould i just go back to paxil (seroxate) and doube the dose.
3- an meanhile if yo tell me to wait ill prozac kicks in , is it ok to use xanax and laxotanile like im doing now.
please help me im very desprate and i dought my doctors advise and now i can't getin touch with him.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Very informative history you have provided and it helped me to arrive at below opinions.

Yes, you are right , safety is in waiting till the Prozac efficacy in you attains the optimum level. The withdrawal symptoms may take 2 to 3 weeks to disappear.

No , Its not a good idea for you to go back to Paxil, This may affect the Proazac action too.

Yes, it is not XXXXXXX to take Xanax , but lessen the dose to 0.5 mg once in the night only.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.