What dosage of Thyronorm should be taken for thyroid problem?

When tested on December 12, 2013, my TSH levels were 15.96 uIU; T3: 125.65 ng/dl and T4: 9 ug/dl. The doctor prescribed me with 75 mcg Thyronorm every morning along with a tablet of Thyrowel to be taken in the afternoon. A repeat of the test on January 06, 2014 shows TSH levels to be 1.15 uIU; T3: 113.20 ng/dl and T4: 11.40 ug/dl. What dosage of Thyronorm should I take now? Should I stop taking any or take a lower dose? Kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Continue same dose of Thyronorm Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, The exact dose of thyronorm that suits to your body needs varies from time to time. it is not that the same dose would be continued all your life. It is extremely important to follow up with your doctor along with TSH, Free T3 and T4 once every 6 months to understand how much of thyronorm you require. The need for thyroxine replacements changes because of different reasons like starvation, stress other conditions like anemia, pregnancy. The doctor was initially correcting the deficiency and now it is time to know the maintainence dose. There is something called maintainance dose for every body and this may vary according to the need mentioned above. For now I suggest you to continue with same dose of Thyronorm and re do the TSH and Free T4 values with next 15 days. If you are planning for a pregnancy you should take the doctors advice once again. Hope this answers.
Follow-up: What dosage of Thyronorm should be taken for thyroid problem? 1 minute later
Thank you so much for the quick reply Doc!!! Also, I do feel like I am starving (I have this feeling atleast twice a day and specially in the middle of the night). It is a little strange as my eating habits are the same as earlier. My weight is normal (54 kgs, Height: 5'3"). What might be a reason for this?? Is this related to the thyroid problem? Also, can I plan a pregnancy with the existing levels? Should I take any supplements or other precautions before I plan a pregnancy? Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recheck with the treating doctor Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms that you expressed sound to be higher metabolism. It may be because of Thyroxine supplementation. The second reason could be medicines, Glucose intolerance and pregnancy. You need to check with your treating doctor if he needs to adjust the thyroxine dose and monitor it more closely. You can plan for a pregnancy after sustaining a maintainence dose. You can continue to take those supplements like Thyrowel. This may help before you plan for pregnancy. It has Iron, B12 and folic acid. Hope this helps.