What does weakness in shoulder abduction and abduction 4/5 reflexes intact mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi can you help me understand part of this report : Upper limb neurology -weakness in shoulder abduction and adduction 4/5 reflexes intact, reduced sensation in C-6 dermatome.
Lower linb neurology: right side absent knee jerk, strength ans sensation normal. Left strength 3/5 toe extension, no knee reflex, ankle jerk intact.
Thank you
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
The report suggests a weakness of muscle strength of score 4/5 of the shoulder muscles with normal reflexes.
Reduced skin sensation is noticed in the area supplied by C6 nerve- suggestive of a mild nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine.
Lower limb shows a reduced muscle strength of extensor muscles of the toe with an absent knee reflexes.
This is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the level of L4-L5 spine.
The treatment mainly involves methylcobalamin supplements, muscle relaxants and regular physiotherapy exercises to retard the progression of these degenerative changes in the spine.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What does weakness in shoulder abduction and abduction 4/5 reflexes intact mean? 22 minutes later
Thank you that helps me understand more
I currently do aqua movers physio exercises and have lost 8kg with 5 kg to go (beed doing this for a year) the spasms are coming closer together (approx every 2 months or less) and lasting longer.when this happens i loose feeling in my 3 middle toes left side and thumb and next finger with sometimes my whole hand. Living with sciatica daily is there any other ways to get rid of the pain i am in?
I take movilis anti inflammatory for flair ups with valium for spasms when needed. Panadine fort when needed and panadoloastio 2x3 times a day.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
For the spasms, it would be better if you can get a good muscle relaxant like Thiocolchicoside prescribed for yourself instead of valium.
You can also add methylcobalamin supplements of 1500 mcg daily at bedtime to your present treatment. Back strengthening exercises under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist are recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.